us

us

Saturday, January 15, 2011

What's Your Emergency?

         My husband returns home from a 12 hour day and as soon as he walks in the door he receives a phone call. I don't know who's on the other end of the line, but I can tell it's not someone with good news. As he hangs up there is a perplexed look on his face.
         "Who was that?"
         "It was 911."
         "911?! What did they say?"
         "She said my daughter was playing with the phone and she dialed 911 and I need to take the phone away from her."
         Wait! What? How was that possible? He just walked in the door from work, he hasn't even set his phone down yet. How could Grace have possibly called 911? Immediately I get worked up and defensive.
         "Why didn't you tell her she was wrong? That it was impossible?"
         He replies, "Uh, I was a bit caught off gaurd by the whole situation."

                                                  .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .

        "Here mommy, she wants to talk to you."
        I play along and take the phone from her (our old cell phone). "Hello?" I say in my sweet pretend voice. And to my surprise there's a voice on the other end, "Hi this is 911 dispatch. Your daughter just dialed 911, is there an emergency?"
       Shocked and totally mortified I reply, "No sorry."
       "Can you please take the phone from your daughter?"
       "This is an inactive phone, I had no idea this was even possible."
She then informs me that it is in fact very possible and if we're going to let her play with our old phones to take the battery out first. I apologize and hang up. Oh crap!! What just happened? It then occurs to me that the other night when my husband received that phone call Gracie really had called 911!

     It wasn't but just a week ago when Gracie had asked me what the policeman's phone number was and I told her 911. That if she ever was scared or couldn't find me or daddy to call 911. I explained to her that it was only for emergencies and if there wasn't an adult around. Apparently she felt the need to test it out. This girl is just too much! She never ceases to amaze me and as long as she is around there will never be a dull moment.

      Needless to say, we took away the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment