us

us

Saturday, January 29, 2011

What Just Happened?

           The night started off great! My friend Becca surprised me with a makeup session at Mac. Then we went to sushi (yum). And then it was off to go dance the night away. We got to Bananaz around 10 o'clock. Had a couple drinks and started grooving. It was around midnight when I noticed that my ears were really itchy! Then my scalp started to itch. I looked at Becca and told her I wasn't feeling so well and that it was time to go.
           We start to drive home and I'm having a really difficult time breathing. My throat is closing and my neck and palms are so incredibly itchy. I'm wheezing and cannot draw in a deep breath. I start to have a flashback of when I was a kid having an asthma attack. Becca notices my distress and asks if she should take me to the E.R. No way!! I hate that place. She asks if I have Benadryl at home and I think I do. I get home and search for the medicine. By this point my chest hurts and its painful to try to breath. I'm starting to get a little panicked. Becca sees my reflection in the mirror as I'm looking for the Benadryl. I hear her gasp and look up to see what she sees. I'm covered in hives. My lips are huge, my nose is swollen beyond recognition. My hands are inflamed. Apparently, I'm allergic to something, but what?
          She sits with me to make sure the medicine is working and after 20 minutes my symptoms are improving. I send her home and jump into the shower, crank the temperature to scalding and sit with steam to try to open my airway some more. My night ends in bed with slightly labored breathing.
          What in the world did that to me? Still we have no clear answers. A couple of theories, but I'm too afraid to test them out. So what was supposed to be a fun-filled birthday celebration turned into something else all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment